Feb 13, 2015 | Carpet One Floor & Home
by Julie Edelman, The Accidental Housewife
When it comes to updating our homes, sometimes our ideas are bigger than our wallets. Here are 10 affordable home decor ideas to satisfy the yearning to redecorate without feeling OMG here I go again...enjoy!
1. CREATE A BOUQUET OF GLASS: Use those vases you’ve collected from gifts to form a collection of different sized and height vases. Place a single flower in each and create a bouquet of glass and color.
2. EXPAND YOUR ROOM: Place a large mirror in a small space to make your room look larger and brighter. Prop against a wall or place on a bureau vs. hanging so can swap it out and not fuss over hanging it safely.
3. STYLE UP EXISTING CURTAINS: Replace wooden, steel or any plain rod that your curtains are hung on with decorative ones that have interesting finials on the end and textured tubing. Then add some ‘swag’ with fabric or metal ornamental tiebacks.
4. ADD FRINGE BENEFITS: Add decorative fringe and/or toggles to your existing pillows. Consider doing the same to embellish your current drapery.
5. PAINT A PART OF YOUR ROOM: No need to paint or wallpaper a whole room! Pick the focal point in your room i.e. where your bed is in a bedroom and paint or wallpaper just that one wall.
6. DECORATE WITH DECALS: Wall decals are a simple and fun way to freshen up any space, create atmosphere or just to add an element of fun in your child’s room with a ‘chalkboard’ decal. The ones pictured here are from Dezign with a Z - http://www.dezignwithaz.com/floral-wall-decals-c-281_44.html
7. SWAP ‘CESSORIES: Just as we swap out our make-up and closets seasonally do the same with household accessories, plants or artificial flowers, photos and frames. You can get great finds at garage sales and stores like my fave Home Goods!!
8. TOP A TABLE: Drape a basic, three-legged wood table with an attractive piece of fabric that you can pick up at a fabric remnant store or use a colorful throw or decorative tablecloth. If we can’t find a better photo, add “Or give that little table a fresh coat of paint.” Place a piece of glass on top and viola!
9. RUN WILD: Add a burst of color with a new area rug or runner at entranceways, hallways, kitchens, in front or besides your bed and bathrooms. Plus entranceway mats not only look great but they track 90% of the dirt and moisture we bring in from the outdoors! Just be sure they’re at least two steps wide so both feet get their gunk rubbed off!
10. FRAME YOUR FIREPLACE: Use your fireplace as a frame to show off a collection of colorful vases, ceramics, plants or any other knick knacks that create an interesting grouping.
Julie Edelman is a well-known multi-media lifestyle personality who shares easy; real life time, money, and energy saving tips that maintain our home, family and manicure. And, though her solutions cause Martha, Heloise and the handyman to cringe, she brings a sense of calm, humor and camaraderie to millions like her who live on what she lovingly calls Hysteria Lane. Julie appears regularly on the Today Show with Kathie Lee ‘n Hoda, Rachael Ray, Better TV and The Doctors. She is a New York Times best-selling author of The Accidental Housewife: How to Overcome Housekeeping Hysteria One Task at a Time and The Ultimate Accidental Housewife”–Your Guide to a Clean Enough House -a ‘must have’ home-keeping compendium. Julie contributes a weekly blog on RachaelRay.com; is the National Home-keeping Editor for Examiner.com: has a webisode series for Fox News Magazine and ‘spreads the glove’ on her site, www.juliestips.com